The best thing is that drinking on the job is a requirement (engrish.com is the best)!
You are Beverly Crusher
A good physician and a caring parent.
You are devoted to your children
and to your occupation.
Click here to take the Star Trek Personality Quiz
There was an article on Cracked claiming that Japan isn’t all that weird.
Counterpoint: How do they explain THIS???
I’m just wondering how many USB cigarette lighters it takes to break even on the production and distribution of that commercial.
“A B C D E Efu Jii…”
Americans think poorly of Congress. Yeah, I get it. Congress is greedy, incompetent and short-sighted.
For those of you with a significant other: remember those disagreements and fights? Those times where you had to compromise and not get what you want? And that’s just trying to get along with one other person.
Now imagine you’re a leader in Congress and you’re trying getting hundreds of other people to agree on a course of action.
Even if enough lawmakers have the same values, nothing’s guaranteed. Maybe their constituents have different priorities. Or maybe they have to keep a lobbyist happy to have enough money for a tough election coming up. They are willing to sacrifice getting law A passed if it means they can vote on laws B through E after the election.
Politics is hard. These hundreds of people can’t do what they’d want to in their perfect world.
If you were a Congressperson, you’d look greedy, incompetent, and short-sighted, too.
Many years ago, when just starting my current job, I was introduced to my new co-worker, Juan. Some would say his depth of experience with the airline industry was his most impressive aspect. But there was something else different about him.
Juan was determined not to waste office supplies, which meant that he wouldn’t toss away or accidentally lose a half-used pencil. He showed me his eraser, which was barely large enough to hold and use. Filled with admiration, I was determined to obtain such a trophy.
He retired a few years later, but I never lost sight of my goal. After 5 or 6 years of usage, I was able to earn my own Juan Eraser. After grinding it down to the size of my thumbnail, I decided it earned its retirement:
But who knows. One day, I may decide to continue erasing with it until it’s even smaller than my pinky nail.
So there’s this calendar with a whole bunch of Zen sayings. While many make some sort of sense, others sound like they were uttered by a dude on magical mushrooms who wanted to sound wise.
Some of these quotes are actual Zen statements (per the calendar), others are meaningless crap that I made up. Can you tell which are which?
1. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.
2. To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
3. Wind, water, mind. One who masters the heart can no longer take harm.
4. Wanting nothing with all your heart stop the stream. When the world dissolves everything becomes clear.
5. An Autumn night…don’t think your life didn’t matter.
6. To one who waits, the tree gains existence.
7. Generally, faith is like spring mist at first. Be brave at the vanishing point.
8. Hollowness can only result from existence.
9. Neither stone, nor water, nor the sky raises the forest.
10. If the greatest cold does not penetrate into our bones, how will the fragrance of the plum blossoms pervade the entire universe?
Even mundane supermarkets can contain invaluable gems:
Yes, you’re reading that correctly. This brand of beer is called “Hebrew: the Chosen Beer”. I would have tried to ascertain the difference between “Messiah Bold” and “Genesis Ale” if I were a beer drinker.
Yeah, so I have to admit it. Even though everyone knows that I, the Mascot, is incredibly non-nerdy, there’s one part of me that’s…kinda nerdy.
I always wanted to star in an old-school style RPG. It would have a kick-butt name like “The Secret of Breakfast”:
And since it’s “old-school”, the graphics could use only 4 colors, like those old CGA monitors:
And you’d encounter a variety of dastardly enemies, like Goblins, Ogres, or Bagels:
You could even switch between Palette #1 (black, white, cyan, magenta) and Palette #2 (black, yellow, green, red) if you wanted some variety:
But, this would be way too awesome and the world doesn’t deserve an experience like that.
It’s no secret that I and most of my friends are nerds of some sort. Granted, it seems arbitrary what forms of entertainment are considered nerdy or not. As Americans, I guess non-nerds are supposed to like reality TV, football (American) and summer movie blockbusters. (Video games are OK as long as they’re first-person shooters.)
Here are a few things that assure my nerd credentials:
1. Being able to name 20 different chess openings.
2. Preferring to watch professional Starcraft to professional sports.
3. The ability to mathematically demonstrate why the World Series is not a good way to determine who the best team in the league is.
So tell me…what makes you a nerd?